Sunday, June 30, 2019

GEZROKET Update: Finally, Brakes Again!

So, the GEZROKET sat for about a month, due to brake issues and my lack of time to repair and diagnose the secondary brake problem that happened at the same time.

I had the GEZROKET moved to my trusted repair shop, Stainback Automotive, via an AAA certified Rollback (the Membership is worth every penny and I highly recommend it to anyone that does not have it!) to get the brake line repaired.  My Engineer friend Michael had correctly diagnosed the secondary problem as a brake line having a hole in it.  

Here are the results of the autopsy:  Johnny at Stainback Automotive filled the brake fluid reservoir and put the car on the lift to see from where the brake fluid was dripping.  Seeing they the brake fluid was dripping out from behind a heat shield in front of the passenger side of the firewall, Johnny removed the heat shield to find that a bracket to hold the heat shield had failed and the shield had rubbed a hole in the brake line.  

Jeff, the owner, called me to propose that we cut out the failed piece and replace it.  I OKed the proposed repair and Johnny proceeded to cut out a section of the line where the double flares would be outside of the heat shield.  Then he removed the offending failed bracket, cutting it off and smoothing the area, where it wouldn't rub the through again.   Double Flaring the ends of the remaining factory brake line to the curb side rear brake drum, Johnny then bent a new line to replace the piece he cut out and double flared the replacement line.   He then split a piece of vacuum hose to isolate the new line from vibration inside of the heat shield and against the firewall.  He installed the new line, tightening the double flare fittings and filled the system with brake fluid to ensure no fluid leaks.  Then the brakes were bled of air and the line was visually checked for leaks again.  Finally, the heat shield was reinstalled.  

The brake pedal still felt somewhat Spongy, but I'll bleed the brakes again and we should be back to normal.

Special thanks to Jeff and Johnny, my "go to guys" for car repairs that either I can't do or don't have time to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting the GT Feel for the Road: A Suspension Upgrade for the GEZROKET or How to Find and "Parts Bin Engineer," Your Car, When There Weren't Many or Any Aftermarket Parts Built for Your Car

Back on June 30, 2019, I Published the GT Project  Blog Post, telling  readers of this blog that I intended to "upgrade" my last y...